Like the Congestion Charge Zone (CCZ), the Ultra Low Emissions Zone (ULEZ) covers an area of London that drivers to have to pay to travel within. Only those driving, as the name suggests, an ultra-low emission vehicle will be exempt.
From 25 October 2021, the existing central London Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) will expand to create a single larger zone bounded by the North Circular Road (A406) and South Circular Road (A205). The North and South Circular Roads themselves are not included in the zone.
The ULEZ will continue to operate 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, including weekends (except Christmas day), with a £12.50 daily charge for vehicles that do not meet the required emissions standards, with £100 being the charge for vehicles over 3.5T.
Cars, motorcycles, vans and other specialist vehicles (up to and including 3.5 tonnes) and minibuses (up to and including 5 tonnes) will need to meet the required ULEZ emissions standards when driving within and into the expanded zone, or pay a daily charge.
- Euro 3 (NOx) for motorcycles, mopeds, motorised tricycles and quadricycles
- Euro 4 (NOx) for petrol cars, vans and other specialist vehicles (up to and including 3.5 tonnes gross vehicle weight) and minibuses (up to and including 5 tonnes)
- Euro 6 (NOx and PM) for diesel cars, vans and other specialist vehicles (up to and including 3.5 tonnes) and minibuses (up to and including 5 tonnes)
Lorries, coaches and larger vehicles included are:
- Buses and coaches (more than 8 passenger seats, over 5 tonnes gross vehicle weight)
- Motorised horse boxes (over 3.5 tonnes gross vehicle weight)
- Breakdown and recovery vehicles
- Snow ploughs
- Refuse collection vehicles
- Road sweepers
- Concrete mixers
- Fire engines
- Removals lorries (over 3.5 tonnes gross vehicle weight)
The ULEZ charge for vehicles under 3.5 tonnes is £12.50, payable by anyone in a vehicle that isn’t compliant, whatever time of day they enter. The charge is £100 per day to enter for non-compliant vehicles over 3.5 tonnes, whatever time of day they enter.
A key point to note: the charge doesn’t buy you 24 hours in the ULEZ. The clock restarts at midnight, so if you drive into the zone at 11pm and leave at 3am the next day, you’ll be expected to pay £25 – or £200 if you’re in a non-compliant vehicle over 3.5 tonnes.
- Penalty charges for vehicles under 3.5 tonnes is £160 (reduced to £80 if paid within 14 days)
- Penalty charge for vehicles over 3.5 tonnes is £1,000 (reduced to £500 if paid within 14 days)
The ULEZ has no barriers or toll booths. Instead, cameras read your number plate as you drive within the zone and check it against our database of UK-registered and non UK registered vehicles. This tells TfL whether your vehicle meets the ULEZ emissions standards, is exempt, is registered for a discount, or if you have already paid the daily charge.
Heavy diesel vans, minibuses, buses, coaches, lorries and other specialist vehicles are also subject to London-wide Low Emission Zone standards. From 1 March 2021, Euro VI (NOx and PM) standards for buses, coaches and minibuses (over 5 tonnes GVW) and vans, lorries and specialist heavy vehicles (over 3.5 tonnes GVW) will be in place in the London-wide Low Emission Zone.